Sunday 31 January 2010

Finally Airborne

Up in the Air (Jason Reitman, 2010)

So last week, the gods of Cineworld finally bestowed upon us a screening of Up in the Air, after a previous failed attempt, and the demons of Londonovercrowding must have been having a day off, which I can't say they haven't earned.

Of course, I loved this film. Reitman is the current crowned king of the smart, bittersweet comedy, (which is my favourite kind), his previous work as we know includes Juno (2007) and Thank You for Smoking (2005). On the subject of kings, Clooney is the monarch of choice for any role requiring a silvering male lead to be effortlessly likeable whilst pretending to be a heartless bastard. And didn't he do well?! It's an interesting dichotomy that surfaces frequently in film, specifically in Reitman's films, that characters who actively propound a philosophy of heartlessness, of absenting oneself from the game of caring, of 'emptying ones backpack', are always the most caring, empathetic, selfless, 'good' characters in the whole film. And of course, they always reach their big "everyone-needs-someone, a-life-alone-is-a-life-wasted etc..." epiphany by the end of the film whilst everyone else is buggering off to be considerably-more-selfish bastards than our lead was character ever was to begin with! Anyway...

I laughed, I cried, I sang along... I shamelessly enjoyed this film. All the main actors performed with aplomb, making their characters' surprisingly-real faults endearing rather than grating. I recognised a little too much of myself in the young Natalie; in her desperation to prove herself, in her youthful inconsideration and selfishness, in her academic competence twinned with real-life hopelessness. And always a joy to be hold, the 10-minute snippet (or not even) of J.K. Simmons was the out-and-out highlight for me. Brilliant!

My one criticism though, is a biggie, that for the first time at the end of a Reitman film, or anything else of this ilk (think Little Miss Sunshine (Jonathan Dayton, 2006) or anything directed by Wes Anderson...) my bittersweet feeling was a little too bitter, not enough sweet. Now don't get me wrong, I do NOT like feel good films, I do not watch RomComs that are more Rom than Com, and I like my happy Com-roms with a heavy dose of irony and plenty of black humour, but Up in the Air, on this particular Wednesday, left me feeling genuinely sad as we stepped out into the rain. Again, I stress, I did NOT want anyone to live happily ever after, I did NOT want the whole film to 360 and schmaltz to a close, no sir, but I just felt like Reitman closed the piece on the wrong chord, a little minor-key that should not have been there and for me, it jarred.

I don't want this to feel like a negative review. Up until the credits rolled, I was having a delightful time; an enjoyable and well-rounded cinematic experience, getting thoroughly engaged and forgetting all about the minutiae of my day (and after all, isn't that the point?). I will be buying the DVD, I may well buy the soundtrack. I do recommend this film. But there is a 'but...', a little listless 'but...' of disappointment at the end of this otherwise glowing piece of cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment