Thursday 21 January 2010

A Stab at a Top Ten

I have always been a bit of a compulsive list maker, but my Top 10 films has always been something I've struggled to pin down. What was it Meg Ryan said? It's like trying to choose your favourite child?! Ok, I'm not quite that mental, but it is always harder than I expect. Now, as a disclaimer, there is of course a huge difference between the "best" films of all time, and one's "favourite" films of all time. This list is very much of the latter persuasion, so you'll find no Godfathers, Shawshanks or Citizen Kanes here - not to do them any disservice, but if I was only allowed to watch 10 films again on rotation for the rest of my life (god forbid!), in no specific order, these would be they...

  • Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
  • Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly, 2001)
  • An Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
  • Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Brad Silberling, 2004)
  • The Emperor’s New Groove (Mark Dindal, 2000)
  • Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)
  • The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson, 2001–2003; I reserve the right to treat the trilogy as one entry!)
  • Finding Neverland (Marc Forster, 2004)
  • The Mummy (Stephen Sommers, 1999)
  • The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006)

1 comment:

  1. The Emperor’s New Groove, The Mummy, really?!? I can hardly talk though, what with one of my favories being- How to train your Dragon and Despicable me. Ahhh. But DD- Sam, I hope I'm not bothering you. But I think I may have introduced you to Donnie Darko once upon a time...

    ReplyDelete