Sunday 14 February 2010

Generation J. J.


Having done no film viewing whatsoever this weekend (shock! horror!), I have only a random thought to contribute. Isn't it about time somebody made a filmic adaptation of a Douglas Coupland novel? And how amazing would it be if that somebody was fellow zeitgeist-er J.J. Abrams? There's a combo I could get excited about.

Such a film would need someone at the helm who was as unafraid of playing with accepted medium conventions as Coupland is with his novels. And I reckon Abrams is the man. The only other director that has the same 'now'-defining power, to my mind, is old QT, but there just isn't enough violence in Coupland's material to satisfy him. Plus, he's not really an adaptation guy. So I'm voting Abrams.
I don't even particularly care which novel it is, though my personal favourites are Generation X and Girlfriend in a Coma.

If only more than 3 people read this blog, we could start a petition or something. Oh well.

I had a little look on imdb.com, just to make sure there isn't already a Coupland film and I'm just talking arse, and it looks, tantilisingly, that All Families Are Psychotic is in some sort of development, but with no further details. AND there's a TV version of jpod. Who knew? Christ, I might have to start watching TV.

Image from bartsbookshelf.co.uk - thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment